A Quick Hack to Discover Your Natural StrengthsNov 13, 2022
This week, I want to share an insight and a free tool that has helped me understand my strengths, weaknesses, and place in the world.
Your natural aptitudes form the foundation of your Creative Superpower.
Aptitude refers to things you are naturally good at. You might not like these traits or actively pursue them; they just come naturally to you. Aptitude has little to do with knowledge, culture, education, or interests. They are inbuilt into your personality.
Research has shown that a person's aptitudes stabilise at around age fourteen and remain so for the rest of their life. The problem with natural aptitudes is that if you are unaware of your strengths and weaknesses, you may spend your life fighting against them.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"—Albert Einstein.
The solution is to discover and embrace your natural strengths.
Most creative people love to know more about themselves, and it is reassuring to know how and why we sense, decide, feel, and think the way we do. It is also surprising how many people haven't taken a formal personality test.
A whole new world can open up once you know if you're naturally a debator, a mediator, a defender or an adventurer, for example. Imagine facing a decision or challenge and understanding beforehand why you might react a certain way. It's even more valuable when you realise how other people are wired and why you might struggle to find common ground with them.
Taking full advantage of your Creative Superpower is impossible if you don't understand or accept your natural aptitudes and wish you were stronger in other areas. This is why it is essential to identify and embrace your natural strengths and delegate the rest. They are built into the foundation of your personality and influence your life purpose.
So what is your personality type?
There are many online personality tests, but my favourite, 16Personalities, provides the best modern adaptation of the classic Myers/Briggs test.
The 16 personality types are divided into four main groups: analysts, diplomats, sentinels, and explorers. You can quickly look at all 16 personalities here and see which type resonates with you the most.
Out of the four groups, I am an analyst. I oscillate between the Commander type (ENTJ) if I'm feeling extroverted and an Architect (INTJ) if I'm feeling introverted.
If you're unsure which of the 16 types you are, you can take the test for free, and it will tell you. If you don't know your INFPs from your ESTJs, take the test and learn how your personality type influences many areas of your life.
- Natural aptitudes form the foundation of your Creative Superpower
- Learn to embrace your strengths and delegate your weaknesses
- Understanding your personality type will help you make better decisions and improve interactions with others
- You can take a free test to discover your type and learn more about it.
I look forward to hearing about your type. Tag me on Instagram and let me know.
Here is a link to 16Personalities if you want to take the test for yourself
WHEN YOU'RE READY, THERE ARE THREE WAYS I CAN HELP
1. Summon the Content Genie → The Content Genie™ is my easy-to-use framework, tool, and workshop that teaches you how to create better weekly content consistently. And the best part? It repurposes the content for you instantly!! Only $27
2. Creative Funnel Formula → This self-study course takes you step-by-step through building your first opt-in (or sales) funnel. Use the code: SPARKS for a 40% discount
3. Funnelancing → Schedule a one-hour virtual Zoom session with Dominique to review your business segment, discuss specific strategies, or set business goals. Book your one-hour session here.